Tuesday, 4 September 2012
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Recipe courtesy of Food.com
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 2 lemons, zest, grated
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Add the egg yolks, one at a time. Beat well after each.
4. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
5. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating two times with the buttermilk, then lemon juice, and then vanilla.
6. Beat just until smooth.
7. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
8. Gently fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
9. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, 3/4 full.
10. Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
11. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.